Talking on the phone with a patient who was frustrated because he’s been jumping through insurance-related hoops for the last two weeks, I was empathizing and brain-storming ways I could help him.
Then he says: “I’m just not used to all this red tape.”
Me: “I understand it can be very frustrating.”
Patient: “That’s not it at all. It’s just that I’ve spent my entire career cutting through red tape – I’m a rebel like that! – and it just blows my mind these processes you people have. I could’ve made this happen so much faster, but that’s just me – Mr. Joe Blow – cutting through red tape. You do what you gotta do. I’ll just sit here and wait on you.”
Pet Peeve # 1: “You people.” May I have the grace to never lump people into groups just because I’m frustrated.
Pet Peeve # 2: Implying you could do my job better than me. Take it already. I’ll give it to you. It sucks, believe me, and you’re not helping.
Pet Peeve # 3: Make me feel guilty. “I’ll just sit here and wait.” Yeah, you will.
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment